PARTY SURVIVAL STRATEGIES
Choose your parties wisely. When the season begins and the invites start rolling on in, it’s time to make a plan!
- Try not to schedule too many social events in a row. Do you really need to attend every party that comes your way? Consider the long-term effects and space them out if possible. Pick the best and “just say no” to the rest.
- Never go to the party hungry. Have a mini meal before you go and you will have much less of a desire to eat unwanted calories. One of the best combinations is a hard-boiled egg, 8 ounces of water and a small apple. You will be satisfied without being full. Now you will have lots more time to socialize!
- Arrive fashionably late. You’ll miss most of the high calorie hors d’oeuvres and the crudités’ will be all yours.
- Don’t ever stand or sit near the food table – Yikes! This is a sure-fire recipe for a mindless-eating disaster. Even if you are not hungry, the act of eating is contagious.
- Put the emphasis on socializing and off eating. Plus It’s way easier and much more fun to talk to people when you don’t have a mouthful of food.
- Choose healthier options. Instead of high-calorie foods like cheeses, dips and fried foods, opt for healthier goodies like crudités’, fresh fruit, sushi and shrimp cocktail.
- Indulge in a small portion of one really decadent treat. This way you will not feel deprived or set yourself up for a “pity binge” later on. Make sure to chew slowly and savor every bite of your guilt-free splurge.
- Change your palate. As soon as you are done eating, stick a strong breath mint in your mouth. This completely changes your palate and you will no longer have the urge to eat just for the sake of eating.
- Don’t forget to “Shake that Booty”! Dancing is by far the most fun way to avoid excess eating while also burning fat and calories. So instead of being a stuffed wallflower, aim for being the life of the party and you’ll stay slim all season long!